Immigration Policy: State Actions and Federal Considerations
2:00 PM – 3:15 PM ET
Immigration remains a high-profile topic nationally and in state legislatures. Over the last 10 years, state legislators have enacted an average of 153 laws per year, addressing the 2020 census, occupational licensing, driver’s licenses, sanctuary policies and enforcement, and creating immigration offices or task forces. Hear about emerging state policy issues on immigration and the likelihood of federal reforms from your peers on NCSL’s Task Force on Immigration and the States.
Sr. Policy Specialist, NCSL State-Federal Affairs
Federal Affairs Counsel, NCSL
Senator John McCollister
Senator Mo Denis
- NCSL Law, Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee
The NCSL Law, Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee represents state legislatures’ interests to the federal government by: submitting testimonies for committee hearings, writing letters on pending federal legislation with positive or adverse state impact pursuant to Law and Criminal Justice policies, commenting on proposed federal agency actions, and filing amicus briefs with the United States Supreme Court. Current committee policies are here.
- NCSL Task Force on Immigration and the States
This task force was created in early 2006 to inform and support the LCJPS Committee’s federal lobbying efforts and focus attention on unprecedented state legislative efforts to address immigration issues.
- NCSL 2021 Presidential Transition Resources
Landing page for NCSL’s transition resources, including NCSL policy and state-federal background on a range of issues including immigration.
- NCSL’s Publications on Immigration
- State Immigration Laws 2020
- Database of state immigration laws
- Immigration: A Primer for State Policymakers, June 2018
- Coming to America, State Legislatures cover story, December 2017
- State Efforts to Help Immigrants Integrate, NCSL LegisBrief, December 2017
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), revised April 2020
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling on DACA, June, 2020
- Driver’s Licenses and Immigrants, February, 2021
- Tuition Benefits for Immigrants, revised September, 2019
- Detention of Migrant Children, November, 2020