State Military and Veterans Affairs: From Benefits to Land Use
12:30 PM – 1:45 PM ET
States pay for and manage a variety of programs to serve military veterans, active-duty service members and military families. Hear an overview of state benefits and services to veterans and the ways states help connect veterans to federal resources. Areas addressed include employment, mental health services, education, housing and veterans’ treatment courts. Learn about efforts to minimize land use conflicts and encroachment around bases and state military structures, including Adjutants General, state military commissions and the National Guard.
Group Director, NCSL Environment, Energy and Transportation Program
Program Principal, NCSL Environment, Energy and Transportation Program
- NCSL Military and Veterans State Legislation Database Nearly 800 bills and resolutions were considered in 2020 by state legislatures pertaining to military and veterans topics. These are found in the 50-state searchable database of legislation that covers 15 topic areas related to military and veterans affairs.
- Military Spouse Employment Policies, February 2021.
- The Impact of State and Federal Policies on Military Installation Resilience, December 2020.
- Veteran Homelessness: Overview of State and Federal Resources, May 2020.
- National Guard Assists Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, April 2020.
- Vietnam Veterans Day, March 2020.
- A Path to Employment for Veterans With Disabilities, August 2019.
- Military Parent Custody and Visitation, September 2018.
- Barriers to Work: Veterans and Military Spouses, July 2018.
- State Policies for Women Veterans, April 2018.
- Military’s Impact on State Economies, April 2018.
- State Help for Returning Veterans, April 2018.
- Preparing for Duty, December 2016. This report covers the following military topics: military advisory bodies, commander’s councils, land use planning, the role of adjutants general, grant programs, light pollution, noise, land conservation, and notification policies.
- From Isolation to Recognition: State Legislatures Honor Vietnam Veterans (March 28, 2020)
- National Guard Aids State Efforts in COVID-19 Response (April 3, 2020)
- Memorial Day: A Time for Respect and Remembrance (May 21, 2020)
- Join the Conversation on National Service (June 23, 2020)
- Department of Defense’s (DoD) Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation, Fiscal Year 2019 Defense Spending by State Report